While we’ve not been able to go hands on with a Schofield watch, we’ve written about a number of their offerings. Many of the designs over the past few years have been variations on a theme, starting from a very solid foundation. Well, for those who have been waiting for a fully new design, your patience has been rewarded with the just-released Schofield Light.
The new case
The new Schofield Light starts with the case. Here, it’s a very wearable 40mm, albeit at 13.5mm tall. That spec feels a little tall from the sheet, but from the photos, it seems like things are well within proportion. A lot of that is helped, visually, but the fact that the bezel stands up from the lugs, tricking the eye into seeing the much slimmer lugs hitting the strap.
An unexpected complication
The Schofield Light is considered to be a field watch. That means it’s rough and ready, all set for, well, heading out into the field. So, with those, we’re used to seeing a robust three-hander movement, keeping things simple. Schofield likes to mix it up, though, and they’ve put the newer Seiko NH34A in, which means the watch has a GMT complication. Surprising for a field watch, for sure, but we like it showing up here. By omitting the date window, this is a watch that is focused on just the time, here and there, and keeping you on track.
Why is it called Light?
That’s a good question – there’s a darker colorway available, so it’s not due to the dial. The case, while smaller, is still steel (though 96g is fairly light for a watch of this style). No, what this is is a tacit acknowledgement that the Schofield Light is the most affordable watch that the brand has introduced. Coming in at £2190 (for those dealing with VAT) or £1825 (approx $2,320 USD), this definitely gives us a brand new entry level to the brand. Just note, only 150 pieces of each dial color are being made at this point, so they could disappear from the order page quickly. This first outing looks great, and we can’t wait to see how they iterate with it over time. schofieldwatchcompany.com
Tech Specs from Schofield
- Movement Seiko NH34A.
- Hours, minutes and hacking sweep seconds and GMT
- Power reserve 44 hours
- Diameter 27.4mm
- Height 5.32mm
- Jewels 24
- Frequency 21,600 VPH 4Hz
- Case Stainless steel (The Dark One PVD).
- Anti-fingerprint coating
- Diameter 40mm
- Crystal diameter 32mm
- Bezel Brushed 12 – 6, 36mm diameter
- Height including lugs 13.5mm
- Width between lugs 22mm
- Lug length 48mm
- Weight with strap and buckle 96 grammes
- Crystal Box sapphire, multiple AR coatings
- Case Back Printed mineral crystal. Flush fit, orientated 12-6. Screw in with no opening holes
- Crown Double o-ring screw in type with nail groove, engraved with Beam of Light
- Dials Split-level, painted, lacquered
- Date None
- Luminescence Super-LumiNova C3 green emission
- Hands Lacquered greys
- Strap 2x 22mm straight cut with QR spring bars
- Buckle Obscura type
- Box Machined cork and Valchromat
- Serial Limited to 150 watches in each colour
- Water resistance 200m
- Warranty 2 years