We’ve long been fans of what New Zealand brand Magrette has been producing, and their Leoncino (we wrote about the prior version here). That design was popular, but we’ve not seen it kicking around for a bit. Well, until now, because the Magrette Leoncino is back, in a new 40mm case design.
You’ve still got that same bulky 60s monobloc look to the case, which is a definite break from the cushion case style we more commonly associate with the brand. This leads into a tapered and integrated bracelet, making for a complete, cohesive look and fit to your wrist. We’ve still got a sandwhich construction on the dial, which means you can get some pretty good lume (along with the dimensionality of the dial). Powering the whole kit is the trusty Sellita SW200-1, which is definitely a step up from the Miyota’s we’d seen in the past.
Magrette is also playing around with a new feature in the design, with an engraved rehaut ring (the bevel that goes up from the dial to the crystal). This is something we normally only see on higher-end luxury watches. It’s an interesting use of what would otherwise be empty space, and gives us more detail. This is going to be the most noticeable on the blue-dialed version, as you’ve got golden, coppery tones used on that rehaut.
That blue-and-gold version of the Magrette Leoncino is only one of three versions being made. That one comes in at $698, or you can opt for the all-black DLC version at $748. On the other hand, if you really want to get an interesting dial in the mix, you could opt for the Magrette Leoncino Ranginui, with it’s Maori-inspired dial, that comes in at $848. All in all, it’s a solid trio, and it’s the first time we’ve seen an H-link bracelet on a Magrette (prior ones we’ve reviewed have had leather straps). To get one of your own, you’ll be putting down $300 now, and then paying the balance when shipment is starting up in mid-January. magrette.com
Tech Specs from Magrette
- Movement: Swiss Made Sellita Caliber SW200-1
- Case dimensions: 40mm excluding the crown, 46.5mm lug-to-lug, 12.6mm tall, 20mm lug width
- Case finish: Brushed DLC black or bare 304L stainless steel, each with engraved case back
- Rehaut: Internal bezel engraved with Magrette logo
- Crown: Screw down crown, signed with Magrette shield
- Crystal: Sapphire with anti-reflective coating
- Dial, hands & Bezel: Super-LumiNova® BGW9 white or Old Radium lume, sandwich construction
- Water-resistance: 200M/656ft water resistance
- Bracelet: Integrated H-link with quick-release and signed butterfly clasp, tapered 20mm/16mm
- Open edition: 100 pieces per case initial release