As you well know, we tend to focus on watches that fall into the affordable end of the spectrum, and primarily well under $1000 price tags. Still, every now and again, something pops up that’s just too cool not to talk about, even though it’s a good deal more expensive than our normal coverage. One of the latest to hit that mark is the Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Huracán White.
As you can guess from the name of the watch, the Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Huracán White is a watch done in concert with the crew over at Lamborghini. Given that that car brand makes particular use of carbon fiber and ceramics, it’s not surprising to see that the watch is using a new sort of material, a ceramic composite fiber. Turns out, that material is even lighter than the previously ultra-light carbon fiber, to the tune of a 20% savings.
Not only is the exposed superstructure look of the case pretty slick, the Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Huracán White makes some generous use of luminous material. The case has it all around the bezel, the dial has it on the hands, indices, and “struts”, and even the rubber strap has had luminous material inlaid. It makes for a rather interesting look in the dark, I think you’ll agree.
While a semi-skeletonized watch like the Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Huracán White isn’t my first choice, it definitely looks rather unlike other watches out there, and is probably a good fit should you be parking a Lamborghini in your own garage (or maybe just had a poster of one on the wall as a kid). If you want to pick up one of the 88 pieces that are being made of the Roger Dubuis Excalibur Spider Huracán, you’ll need to bring $59,500 down to your local Roger Dubuis boutique, as it is exclusive to them. rogerdubuis.com
Tech Specs from Roger Dubuis
- Name: RD630
- Energy: Mechanical, automatic-winding
- Functions: Hour, minute, second, date
- Components: 233
- Jewels: 29
- Frequency: 4 Hz (28’000 vph)
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Diameter: 37.1 mm
- Diameter in lines: 16
- Thickness: 7.7mm
- Finishes: Shot-blasted and NAC coated main plate. Shot-blasted and trued-up and NAC coated bridges
- Type: Excalibur skeleton concept with design signature: notched bezel and three lugs
- Diameter: 45 mm
- Material: Ceramic Composite Fiber – CCF
- Bezel: Ceramic Composite Fiber – CCF – with luminescent decor
- Crown: Titanium crown with white lacquer ring
- Glass: Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
- Case Back: Titanium open case back with sapphire crystal with Huracàn logo metallized
- Thickness: 14.1mm
- White varnished lower flange with transferred texts and minute track.
- Rhodium plated upper flange with polished and Rhodium plated hour markers filled with SLN in the centre
- White gold hour and minute hands.
- Black outlined tips filled with SLN.
- Black varnished second hand
- White rubber with white luminescent rubber inlay.
- Pirelli Cinturato pattern on the lining of the strap.
- Interchangeable with Quick Release System – QRS
- Buckle: Titanium cover with titanium blades, triple folding, interchangeable with Quick Release System – QRS
- Water Resistance: 5 BAR (50 m)
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team