As we’ve seen over the last year or two, Oris has really leaned into supporting causes that support various initiatives, particularly those of an ecological sort that focus on our waterways. Their latest watch supports efforts to clean up the water in New York Harbor – the Oris Aquis New York Harbor LE.
The specific non-profit they’ve partnered up with is the Billion Oyster Project. This is a program that started up in 2014, with the goal of restoring one billion oysters to New York Harbor by 2035. Why do that? Well, the main reason is that an adult oyster can filter up to 50 gallons of water per day, so it helps clean up all the stuff that is in the water. It’s a great job that those little shellfish can do, and definitely an all-natural approach to cleaning up the waters.
For this launch, the Oris Aquis New York Harbor LE starts life as – what else – an Oris Aquis. This is a dive watch that is clean and gets the job done, no matter what edition it is. For this one, the dial is done in a green mother of pearl. This calls to mind the oysters cleaning the water, as well as the color of the water in New York Harbor. On the caseback, you’ve got a trio of clams done in relief, reminding you of the project being supported.
Past that, it’s an Oris Aquis through-and-through, and a diver that will certainly please the owner. The Oris Aquis New York Harbor LE is a limited-edition of 2,000 pieces, each coming in at $2,700. That’s a slight premium over the model it’s based on, but that’s fine, as it’s helping raise funds for a good cause. You can check out the full Aquis lineup over at oris.ch.
Tech Specs from Oris
- Case Multi-piece stainless steel case, uni- directional rotating bezel, stainless steel bezel with minutes scale in relief
- Size 41.50 mm (1.634 inches)
- Dial Green, mother-of-pearl
- Luminous material Hands and indices with Super-LumiNova®
- Top glass Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti-reflective coating inside
- Case back Stainless steel, screwed, special engravings
- Operating devices Stainless steel screw-in security crown
- Strap Green rubber strap, supplied with additional multi-piece stainless steel metal bracelet with folding clasp with extension, and strap changing tool
- Water resistance 30 bar (300 m)
- Number Oris 733
- Functions Hours, minutes and central sweep seconds hands, date with quick setting, stop second device, date window at 6 o’clock
- Winding Automatic
- Power reserve 38 hours
- Limited edition 2,000 numbered pieces, special presentation box
- Retail price $2,700
- Available June 2022