Wait, why is there a picture of a train up there? Well, friends, that train is running on the line known as the Waldenburgerbahn, which ran right by the sleepy village of Hölstein (aka the home of Oris). Since it seems that train line made what we know as Oris today possible – at least in some small part – a watch honoring the line only makes sense.
There are some loose ties to history here. Given that the Oris Big Crown design first hit the streets in 1938, the presumption is that it’s the Oris watch that has been on the Waldenburgerbahn over the intervening years. Is that provable? Not in the least, but hey, it makes sense, no?
At this point, the Oris Big Crown should be familiar to you. Yes, a number of models have been given that nomenclature, but the three-handed readout – with a fourth to indicate the date – is quite recognizable. It gives a vintage look to things, especially with the leaf handset.
On the dial side, you won’t see much to mark the connection with the train line. Flip the watch over, however, and you’ve got the steam train chugging right along, there on the caseback. If you want one of the 1,000 pieces they’re producing, your $2,300 will get you a travel case as well as a special cleaning cloth with a map of Hölstein. Check it out over at oris.ch
Tech Specs from Oris
- Case Multi-piece stainless steel case
- Size 40.00 mm (1.575 inches)
- Dial Black
- Luminous material Indices, numbers and hands with Super-LumiNova®
- Top glass Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti-reflective coating inside
- Case back Stainless steel, screwed, special engravings
- Operating devices Stainless steel screw-in security crown
- Strap Dark brown Cervo Volante deer leather with quick strap change system
- Water resistance 5 bar
- Number Oris 754
- Functions Centre hands for hours, minutes and seconds, date centre hand, instantaneous date, date corrector, fine timing device and stop-second
- Winding Automatic
- Power reserve 38 hours
- Limited edition 1,000 numbered pieces, with leather travel pouch and card holder, and special Hölstein map cleaning cloth
- Swiss retail price CHF 2,100
- Available November 2022