While my fellow editors here like to give me grief about liking a GMT complication though I don’t travel as much any more, it is still a complication I rather enjoy. Breitling just released a new model that definitely caught my eye. Meet the Breitling Chronomat Auto GMT 40.
The Chronomat design, that should be familiar. It’s been around since the 1970s, and has those iconic squared bumps on the bezel at the 15 minute marks that ostensibly help to protect the crystal. Rather than a chronograph as you’d find in the larger versions, these 40mm models instead have a GMT movement inside.
The bezel on the Breitling Chronomat Auto GMT 40 retains it’s timing-style, so for the GMT scale, you’ll be looking at the chapter ring on the dial (so, just two time zones for you, friend). Actually, in many ways, other than the red GMT hand, this is a watch that very much has the feel of a steel tool or diver watch. In my book, that’s rather a good thing.
For this launch, there are five different dial colors. The black, green, blue, and white dials will be more widely available, while the anthracite will only be available on Breitling’s site and through their boutiques. Regardless of the color, the price comes in at $5,600. Check out the new models – and the rest of the Chronomat range – over at breitling.com
Tech Specs from Breitling
- Reference: A32398101A1A1, A32398101C1A1, A32398101B1A1, A32398101L1A1, A32398101M1A1
- WATCH MOVEMENT
- Caliber: Breitling Caliber 32
- Diameter: 25.6mm
- Depth: 4.1mm
- Winder: self-winding mechanical, bidirectional with ball bearing approx.
- Power reserve: 42 hours
- Balance frequency: 28,800 a/h or 4 hertz
- Display: hour, minute, second, date, second time zone
- Certification: COSC-certified
- Material: stainless steel
- Diameter: 40mm
- Thickness: 11.77mm
- Height (upper lug tip to lower lug tip): 47.4mm
- Water resistance: up to 20 bar (200 meters)
- Glass: cambered sapphire, glareproofed on both sides
- Caseback: solid, screwed
- Crown: non screw-locked, two gaskets
- Bezel: stainless steel, unidirectional, ratcheted
- Black, blue, green, white, anthracite
- Super-LumiNova® luminescent indexes and hands
- STRAP: Stainless-steel rouleaux bracelet with butterfly clasp