When it comes to Breitling, you may (or at least, I do) associate them with things going on in the sky. And that’s fair, as a number of their watches are aimed at pilots, and certainly have lots of hooks into that world. But that’s not to say they don’t have their eyes set on land-based activities, as the recently-announced Breitling Top Time Deus Limited Edition showcases.
For this new watch, Breitling paired up with Deus Ex Machina, a company that specializes in creating motorcycles – and surfboards. In other words, their tastes can be just as varied as anyones. Find your adventure when you can, is another way to look at things.
Dial-wise, the Breitling Top Time Deus Limited Edition is your classic panda dial chronograph, along with the Deus logo showing up at 6 o’clock. Around the chapter ring, you’ve got the Deus slogan (In Benzin Veritas), followed up with some handy color coding – if your mile time has you in the red or orange frame, well, you better have some good gear on. Faster than that, up in the slogan? You’ve just gone to ludicrous speed, my friend.
Around the caseback of the Breitling Top Time Deus Limited Edition, you can see an engraving of a Deus bike, complete with a rider tucked in doing their level best to hit said ludicrous speed. Protected inside the case you’ve got a Breitline Caliber 23, running a 4 Hz and giving you a 48-hour power reserve on the COSC-grade movement. Flipping it over also gives you a shot of that lovely yellow inner lining on the leather strap, which gives things a nice bit of contrast.
Now, as I mentioned, Deus is also into surfboards. Which means I’m really surprised that the Breitling Top Time Deus Limited Edition only carries a 30m WR rating. That’s ok for hand washing, but probably not something you’d want to surf with. Or the leather strap, one supposes. Perhaps keep it for timing your buddies in the riding club ripping off the quarter mile on a closed track.
There will be 1,500 pieces of the Breitling Top Time Deus Limited Edition made, each going for $4,990. Also, if you order directly from Breitling, you’ll get a Deus coffee table book and canvas tote bag. breitling.com
Tech Specs from Breitling
- Reference: A233101A1A1X1
- WATCH MOVEMENT
- Caliber: Breitling Caliber 23
- Diameter: 30 millimeters
- Depth: 7.9 millimeters
- Winder: self-winding mechanical, unilateral with ball-bearing
- Power reserve: approximately 48 hours
- Balance frequency: 28,800 a/h or 4 hertz
- Chronograph: oscillating pinion, 1/4th second and 30-minute counters
- Display: hour, minute, second
- Certification: COSC-certified
- Material: stainless steel
- Diameter: 41 millimeters
- Height: 14.27 millimeters
- Water resistance: up to 3 bar (30 meters)
- Glass: sapphire, convex, double anti-reflective
- Caseback: snapped, stainless steel
- Crown: non screw-locked, one gasket
- Super-LumiNova® luminescent hour markers, hour and minute hands
- STRAP: Brown racing-themed calfskin leather strap with pin buckle