The Oris Aquis Date (reviewed here) is turning into quite a versatile workhorse for the brand. It’s housed a number of movements, and has been turned into a number of different special editions, mostly focused on ecological efforts. This latest, though, celebrates the 60th anniversary of a Chinese animated film. Introducing the Oris Sun Wukong Limited Edition.
So, what film? Glad you asked – it’s The Monkey King: Uproar in Heaven. Translate the first part of that title into Mandarin, and you get Sun Wukong. This is a character that actually hails from 16th century Chinese literature, so it’s not a surprise that it would be a hit film. Problem is, how do you translate that into a watch design?
For the Oris Sun Wukong Limited Edition, the staff that Sun Wukong wields shows up (literally) on the seconds hand, and also shows up in a fast-motion spin in the pattern imprinted on the dial.
Past that admittedly subtle nod to the film, the Oris Sun Wukong Limited Edition is very much the 41.5mm version of the Aquis Date, complete with it’s 300m WR rating, steel case and bracelet, and the Oris 733 movement. This is the first limited edition on the 41.5mm version, and it’s limited to only 2000 pieces.
So, I’m not sure how wide the fan base is for Sun Wukong, but I imagine that even at $2,600 (a $300 premium over the regular models, say like the Upcycle) it’ll move pretty quickly. So, you know, if you’re interested, make a move sooner rather than later, cause this watch will be saying Zàijiàn. oris.ch
Tech Specs from Oris
- Case Multi-piece stainless steel case
- Size 41.50 mm (1.634 inches)
- Dial Blue
- Luminous material Indices and hands filled with Super-LumiNova®
- Top glass Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti-reflective coating inside
- Case back Stainless steel, screwed, special engravings
- Operating devices Stainless steel screw-in security crown
- Strap Multi-piece stainless steel metal bracelet, security folding clasp with extension
- Water resistance 30 bar (300 metres) Movement
- Number Oris 733
- Functions Hours, minutes and central sweep seconds hands, date with quick setting, stop second device, date window at 6 o’clock Winding Automatic
- Power reserve 38 hours
- Limited edition 2,000 pieces, special presentation box
- Swiss retail price CHF 2,350
- Available November 2021