Back when the first version of the Oak & Oscar Olmsted was released, we of course brought you word (seen here). I tend to like the stuff that they produce (and hey, they’re local to me in Chicago, so bonus), and it has a very consistent design language. Now a new version is hitting the streets (for pre-order), so let’s see what all you can get with the Oak & Oscar Olmsted Matte.
For starters, the Oak & Oscar Olmsted Matte is very much like its predecessor – same 38mm case, and same overall design on the dial. The big changes are in the movement (ETA 2892A2 now), no date display on the dial, and no bracelet option. Why no bracelet?
Well, that’s because the Oak & Oscar Olmsted Matte has a brand new (for the brand) matte ceramic coating on its case, and I’m guessing it would be pricey (and tricky) to get that onto the bracelet as well. So, instead you’ve got one of their great Horween leather straps (with ceramic-coated hardware) as well as a nylon strap (again, with the ceramic-coated hardware) to keep it on your wrist.
The finish on the Oak & Oscar Olmsted Matte is midway between a deep black and a dark grey, from what I can tell of the pictures, with a dial color that matches. I tend to not care for “blacked out” watches, but this is one I do actually like the look of (well, except for the lack of a date display). And really, the matte finish on a field watch makes sense, keeps the glare down and you’re not going for a high-polish “fancy” watch as you bash around in the woods.
Which isn’t to suggest that the Oak & Oscar Olmsted Matte is some low-end piece. With a pre-order price of $1,475 (full MSRP is $1,550), this is very much edged into what we consider “affordable luxury”; albeit with a more ready-to-work aesthetic than we normally see in this category.
With the Oak & Oscar Olmsted Matte, we also have something new for the brand – it’s not a limited edition watch, but it’s a limited production watch. What this means is that it won’t be cut off at a specific serial number. It’s just that the ceramic coating process is time-consuming, so it’s going to be a slower go to get them produced. If you want more info, or to get a pre-order in, head on over to oakandoscar.com
Tech Specs from Oak & Oscar
- Modified ETA 2892A2 automatic 21 jewel mechanical Swiss movement
- 42-hour power reserve
- 28,800 bph / 4 Hz
- Matte ceramic coated case
- 316L Stainless steel
- 38mm case diameter
- 10 ATM water resistance (100 meters / 330 feet)
- 10.8mm case height
- 20mm lug width
- 44.9mm lug-to-lug
- Double-domed sapphire crystal with multi-layer anti-reflective coating
- Sandwich dial with Super-LumiNova BGW9 base dial
- Two-year limited warranty
- A portion of all Oak & Oscar profits donated to local Chicago dog rescue, One Tail at a Time
- Price: $1550 (MSRP), $1475 (Launch price)
- Expected to begin shipping in winter 2020/2021
- The Olmsted Matte
- Horween leather strap with matching ceramic coated hardware
- Olive drab nylon strap with matching ceramic coated hardware
- Waxed canvas watch wallet
- American-made strap changing tool
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team