If you recall, a week ago, we talked about a watch helping get plastic out of the ocean. Well, ocean-conservancy-oriented watches are definitely a big theme of the year, and Oris is getting in on that action as well with the Oris Carysfort Reef Limited Edition.
This watch starts with one of my favorite Oris watches – the Aquis GMT (which we reviewed here), and goes back to a foundation that Oris has been supporting for quite some time. That’s right, this is actually the third watch that Oris has created to support the Coral Restoration Foundation.
Here, you’ve got the look of the Oris Carysfort Reef Limited Edition much like any other Aquis GMT that came before, replete with that lovely blue dial. Here, though, you’ve got an orange rubber strap coming to bear – or you can get the steel bracelet (my recommendation).
The biggest difference here – and to remember what you’re supporting – is the caseback on the Oris Carysfort Reef Limited Edition. Along with all of the specs of the watch and the serialization, you’ve got a representation of three types of coral, as well as the recognition that the foundation has returned 30,000 corals to the reef by the end of this year. oris.ch
Tech Specs from Oris
- Case: Multi-piece stainless steel case, bi-directional rotating blue and black (day/night) ceramic bezel with GMT scale
- Size: 43.50 mm (1.713 inches)
- Dial: Blue gradient
- Luminous material: Hands and indices with Super-LumiNova?
- Top glass: Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti-reflective coating inside
- Case back: Stainless steel, screwed, special engravings
- Operating devices: Stainless steel screw-in security crown
- Bracelet: Stainless steel metal bracelet, or orange rubber strap, both with stainless steel security folding clasp with extension
- Water resistance: 30 bar (300 m)
- Number: Oris 798
- Functions: Centre hands for hours, minutes, seconds and 24 hours, date window, instantaneous date, date and 24-hour corrector, fine timing device and stop-second
- Winding: Automatic
- Power reserve: 42 hours
- Limited edition: 2,000 pieces, each presented in a special box made using sustainable algae
- Swiss retail price: CHF 2,850 (bracelet) / CHF 2,650 (on strap)
- Available June 2020