I am not a fan of full blown smart watches, but analog activity trackers have always piqued my interest, and now Timex has entered the space with the Timex iQ+ collection, with the Timex iQ+ Move as the newest option. Offering versions for both men and women, the iQ+ collection offers activity tracking, an Indiglo backlight and a low key design for $150.
The first thing I see when I look at watches like this is, frankly, a watch. For me, that is a good thing. I don’t wear a watch because I want a mini-computer on my wrist. I carry one in my pocket, I just want to see the time. But it would be nice to get a glance at how I am doing against an activity goal, and wouldn’t mind getting an idea of how much restful sleep I actually get. I don’t like the bracelet style trackers, so options like this are really by best choice if I want these functions. When paired with your smartphone, the watch will automatically adjust the time and date, a nice feature for travelers.
The Timex iQ+ Move is a simplified and dressier version of the Metropolitan+, with tracks activities in a sportier package with an analog look. For men, there is a stainless case with either a black dial and silver hands/indexes or a white dial with gold accents, or a gunmetal or black case, each with dark grey dials and a splash of color. The latter two look like they come on silicone straps, while the first two are on leather straps. For women, there is a stainless case with a cream dial or a gold case with a white dial, each with gold hands and indexes. As with all iQ+ watches, the batteries are non-rechargeable and should run for about a year, which mans you don’t have to decide if you want to wear the watch at night as a sleep tracker or leave it on the charging stand, a big drawback in my opinion of full blown smartwatches. The phone connects to a Timex app that runs on both iOS and Android devices.
- Brand & Model: Timex iQ+ Move
- Price: $150
- Who we think it might be for: You want a sleep and activity tracker built into a watch that looks like a watch
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: I might. No, I don’t really wear quartz, but if I want this functionality, this is the type of watch I would pick up
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: A blue handset against the white dial
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It is an affordable way to get these functions in a watch that looks like a watch.
Tech Specs from Timex
- Model: Timex iQ Move +
- Movement: Quartz, but otherwise not specified
- Case Diameter: Nor specified
- Case Thickness: 13mm (men)/ 12.5mm (women)
- Crystal: Mineral
- Other Features: Sleep tracker, activity tracker, auto set of date and time from paired smartphone, Indiglo backlight.
- Water Resistance: 50M
- Strap: Leather or silicone, with optional steel mesh with quick release pins.
- Lug Width: 20mm (men)/18mm (women)
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team