One of Oris’ more-popular designs has long been their Big Crown models that use a pointer for the date indication. This is something I’ve never quite gotten around to liking, as I’ve always preferred a date window. But, with eyesight being what it is, perhaps it’s time for me to re-explore the date pointer. If you find yourself in the same boat, then the brand-new Oris Big Crown Calibre 473 is worth a look.
There are a couple of notable things going on with the Oris Big Crown Calibre 473. For one, it’s in a lovely 38mm case size, which means that it will fit a variety of wrists. Despite that smaller (well, in modern parlance) case, it still manages to have a 120-hour power reserve, which is no mean feat. How is this done? Well, that’s courtesy of the Calibre 473, a new movement. While being hand-wound, it’s able to be within COSC tolerances, and is built to hold up for the 10-year warranty period (and we presume much longer with regular maintenance).
These are all great things, but we are particularly fond of the power reserve indicator. Since the movement is manually wound, you see the reserve indicator on the reverse of the watch. Flip it over, view the balance wheel in motion, and then have a look at how many hours a remaining in the barrel.
All in all, the Oris Big Crown Calibre 473 is a rather deceptively simple watch, for all the work that goes into that movement. If you’re looking to put one on your wrist, you can do just that – as of today – for $4,400. oris.ch
Tech Specs from Oris
- Case Multi-piece stainless steel case
- Size 38.00 mm (1.496 inches)
- Dial Blue
- Luminous material Indices, numbers and hands printed with Super-LumiNova®
- Top glass Sapphire, domed on both sides, anti-reflective coating inside
- Case back Stainless steel, screwed, see-through sapphire glass
- Operating devices Stainless steel screw-in security crown
- Strap Olive brown strap crafted from sustainably sourced deer leather produced by Oris’s Swiss partner Cervo Volante, premier of an Oris-developed stainless steel butterfly clasp with fine adjustment system
- Water resistance 5 bar
- Number Oris Calibre 473
- Functions Centre hands for hours, minutes and date, small seconds at 6 o’clock, 120- hour power reserve indicator on reverse, fine timing device and stop-second
- Accuracy -3/+5 seconds a day (within COSC tolerances)
- Extra features Highly anti-magnetic
- Winding Hand-wound
- Power reserve 120 hours
- Warranty Extended to 10 years with MyOris sign-up. Applies to watch and movement. 10-year recommended service intervals, five- year recommended water-resistance check
- Swiss retail price $4,440 / CHF 4,200
- Available January 2023