Yes, you read that right. No, they are not getting into the sushi business. Instead, RAW is an acronym for their new lineup, which stands for Refined Articulated Watches. Interestingly enough, for the first watch introduced in the line, it carries the name of R.A.W. 2. Why this watch, now? Well, moVas had been getting requests for a dressier watch (though I’d say the Officer line could fill that role), and that brings us to the watch we’re talking about today. Let’s have a closer look at what the moVas R.A.W. 2 brings to the table, shall we?
For starters, the moVas R.A.W. 2 has a traditional case shape – it’s the first truly round/circular case from the brand, and, at 43mm, it’s actually their smallest to-date as well. Of course, if you are familiar with the brand at all, you know they wouldn’t just leave it with a simple round case. No, here, the case is made out of Grade 2 titanium, with a shot-peened surface that gives things a very matte look to it. That’s one thing, but then when you add in the polished (and hinged) bronze (CuSn8, for you materials guys) lugs, you are starting to see something a good deal different with the moVas R.A.W. 2.
I don’t want to brand the moVas R.A.W. 2 as a steampunk watch, but it does have some elements that would speak to that, albeit a bit more refined. Especially once you consider what you have for the dial. Or, more accurately, the lack of a dial. The upper register is where you have the hours and minutes (blue hand for the minutes), and then you have a central seconds hand that marks out the time against the ball-bearing indices. All of this is spinning around and driven by a double balance wheel setup, courtesy of the Cal 05 movement from the Shanghai Watch Co. No, you probably haven’t heard of this movement before, but it fits the brand (moVas = movements of Asia), and it does give a clever look to things.
And looking at the moVas R.A.W. 2 is certainly what you’ll do. The curved sapphire crystal has been extended out to the edges of the case, almost making the upper surface of the case look more like a retaining ring that is under the glass. This allows the eye to really focus in on the movement – and with those twin balance wheels, you will have plenty of movement going on. This may be labelled as a dress watch, but frankly I see this more as a fun everyday sort of an option – unless you find yourself in a top hat and green-tinted glasses when you are dressed up.
No matter how you decide to wear it, the moVas R.A.W. 2 is certainly a very unique look, and should make for a comfortable fit with the reasonable case size and hinged lug setup. If you want to order one of the 50 being made for yourself, you can head on over to this page for instructions, and be prepared to bring along $1,900 to secure yours. I’ve a feeling that, much like many of the other moVas designs, the moVas R.A.W. 2 will be a bit polarizing – either you like it or you don’t. For me, I do like it, but I’d like to hear what you think of this new lineup in the comments below. movaswatches.com
- Brand & Model: moVas R.A.W. 2
- Price: $1,900
- Who we think it might be for: You seek out the unique, in terms of design, material combinations, and movement usage
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: I would certainly wear it, but it would be sparingly, and that’s just not fair to do to a watch of this nature. So, I have to put this one down as a “no”.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I don’t know how it would be done, but it the second track ball bearings could get some movement going, that could be fun.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: At first, it was the balance wheel, but then it was more the articulated lugs – both for the movement, as well as the contrast in material colors it brought.
Tech Specs from moVas
- Case: Grade 2 titanium case with deep shot peened surface. Polished, hinged CuSn8 bronze lugs. Case is 43mm across. 41-52mm lug hole- lug hole (hinged and adjustable). 9.6mm height to top of bezel/ 13.4mm height including domed sapphire.
- Caseback: Exhibition caseback in Grade 2 titanium with deep shot peened surface. Engraved and signed. Numbered 01-50.
- Glass: 4mm thick double domed american sourced scratch resistant sapphire colourless. Single Anti Reflective coating applied internally. 1mm flat american sourced scratch resistant sapphire colourless caseback.
- Movement: Cal 05 Produced by Shanghai Watch Co. 40 Jewels, beating at 21600bph, 35H Power Reserve, Dark Frosted plates and Gold PNP balance cocks. Antishock protection system on balance wheel.+/- 30s/ day.
- Dial: Matt Dark grey painted brass skeleton dial. Applied Roman numeral hour indices (XII, III, VI, IX) in brushed bronze colour plating.
- Hands: Faceted and skeletonised brass hour hand in polished PNP. Heat blued steel skeletonised arrow shaped minute hand. Heat blued steel skeletonised seconds hand.
- Strap/ Bracelet: Genuine brown lizard 24mm strap with matching stitching and leather backing and black crown printed 24mm leather strap with matching stitching and leather backing.
- Buckle: 2pc Tang buckle with ‘V’ logo cutout, and “moVas” deep engraved on sides in CuSn6 Bronze.
- Crown: Extra Large “V” logo deep etched crown with double locking screw down mechanism, deep shot peened to match case and knurled surface.
- Water Resistance: 10atm.
- Power Reserve: 35 hours, fully wound.
- Warranty: 2 year.