There were a LOT of watches that were announced a few weeks back at the virtual show Watches & Wonders. We’ve covered a few so far, but one of the ones that really caught my eye was the Corum Admiral 45 Openworked Tourbillon.
Before we get too far, let’s roll some video:
With Corum, the Admiral lineup has been there for some time, and even having a flying tourbillon right there on the dial, that’s something we’ve seen before. So, how does Corum mix it up? You take ultra-light (and ultra-strong) carbon fiber, and mix it up in layers complete with gold flake. Forged carbon has always looked cool to me (though not sure that this is forged), but mixing in the gold flake really just makes it all the more interesting in my book.
Though, with those materials – and that particular movement – you can safely assume that the Corum Admiral 45 Openworked Tourbillon is coming at you in limited numbers. Specifically, only 48 pieces, each of them running $59,800, are what the brand is releasing. Yeah, it’s exclusive, but I hope it sells like hotcakes, because this sort of experimental funtime with carbon cases is what I want to see even more of. corum-watches.com
Tech Specs from Corum
- Watch name: ADMIRAL 45 OPENWORKED TOURBILLON
- Availability: Limited Edition: 48 piece(s)
- Movement number: CO 298
- Winding system: Automatic
- Functions: Hour & Minute • Flying tourbillon • Power reserve • 3 minutes counter
- Power reserve: 72 hours
- Frequency: 3 Hz, 21’600 vph
- Dimension: 12 1/2’’’
- Rubies: 37
- Colours: Black
- Material: Brass
- Distinctive features: 5N gold-toned brass flange
- Shape: Dodecagonal
- Dimension: 45 mm
- Thickness: 14.30 mm
- Case material: Carbon with gold inclusions
- Bezel material: Carbon with gold inclusions
- Crown material: 5N 18k rose gold
- Crystal: Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment
- Back type: Open back cover in titanium grade 5 with black PVD treatment with glare proof sapphire crystal
- Water-resistance: 100 meters / 10 ATM
- Hour and minute: Dauphine-variant • 5N gold-toned • Skeleton • Black superluminova
- Material: Bi-material
- Interhorn/Buckle: 23/20 mm
- Buckle type: Triple folding clasp
- Buckle material: Titanium grade 5 with black PVD treatment
Thank you for reading this WristWatchReview post. With so many things competing for everyone’s attention these days, we really appreciate you giving us your time. We work hard every day to put quality content out there for our community.
WristWatchReview is one of the few remaining truly independent watch news outlets. We do not have a giant corporation behind us, and we rely heavily on our community to support us, in an age when advertisers are increasingly uninterested in sponsoring small, independent watch sites — especially a site like ours that is unwilling to pull punches in its reporting and analysis. We don't play the games the other sites play and we've paid for it when it comes to ad revenue.
We would love for you to support us on Patreon and every little bit helps. Thank you.
–The WWR Team