Citizen is a brand that may not get as much attention or mindshare from us watch folks, and that’s a shame. They actually produce some very nice pieces, some with some very interesting twists. One of the more recent releases – which happens to be a Macy’s exclusive Limited Edition – is the Citizen Promaster Marine.
When the images first crossed my inbox of this new Citizen Promaster Marine, my attention immediately went to the cyclops. I know it’s a divisive feature, but it’s something that I’ve really grown to like the looks of, as well as the simple utility that it provides. Set that onto an electric blue dial and add in a GMT complication? Yes, I’m hooked.
Then I started to take a closer look at the spec sheet. Once I realized that it had a titanium case and a titanium bracelet, I immediately asked to have a loaner sent in. Once I got it in and sized, it was a delightful as I had hoped it would be. First off, we cannot ignore the fact that this is a solar-powered watch (ergo, Eco Drive). This – along with a quartz movement – provides a level of simple “grab and go” living that should not be underestimated.
On the wrist, I felt that the Citizen Promaster Marine wore a lot smaller than it’s 43mm diameter would suggest. I think this is in large part due to the titanium (and the quartz movement) helping to keep the weight down to a svelte (for an ISO-compliant dive watch) 124g. The case isn’t overly tall either, for all of the 200m WR rating. Which is interesting, because from the dial side – with it’s steep and chonky chapter ring – you’d think this would be a beast standing off from the wrist; that is simply not the case.
In that regard, having the cyclops mounted under the crystal helps to slim the profile of the Citizen Promaster Marine. The bright white of the chapter ring also seems to gather in the light, which I’m sure helps to charge the solar cell. On the flip side, it also helps to collect the light for the lumed indices and hands, which do positively glow. You come in from a bright sunny day, and you’ll have no problem seeing the time, even as your eyes are still adjusting to the dimmer light inside.
In terms of overall look, the Citizen Promaster Marine is very much a tool-oriented diver. Most surfaces are matte or brushed, while the sunray dial has some sheen, and you’ve got some bits of polish on the crown and coin-edge of the diving bezel. That said, unless you’re at the stodgiest of black tie affairs, you could certainly get away with using this watch with a suit. In other words, the Citizen Promaster Marine is another entry into that category of “just one watch” that I’ve been seeing more and more crossing my desk. In this case, it’s going to be for the fellow who wants to be traveling around a lot, and have the ability to hit the pool (or the ocean) once the business of the day is done.
As I mentioned at the outset, the Citizen Promaster Marine is exclusive to Macy’s. This is another trend we’ve seen, with specific models locked into a certain retail location. Whether that hurts or helps, I’m not sure, but it does mean you’re heading to your local mall (or webstore) to check this one out. Whatever the route, the pricetag on the Citizen Promaster Marine is $625. Well, except for today (December 2, 2019) which is known as Cyber Monday. That means you can get a very tidy discount, in the form of a price of $400. Not bad for this titanium GMT diver that can truly do it all for you. macys.com
- Brand & Model: Citizen Promaster Marine
- Price: $625 ($400 on Cyber Monday 12/2 )
- Who?s it for? You want just one watch to be able to jaunt around time zones and easily head to the board room or poolside
- Would I wear it? Absolutely – a blue GMT with a cyclops? That is my jam!
- What I?d change: While the tall chapter ring is certainly identifiable for the watch, I wouldn’t mind seeing if it could be slimmed down a touch
- The best thing about it: Aside from the under-crystal cyclops? Just how light and compact the watch felt on the wrist
Details from Macy’s
- Movement: three-hand quartz
- Case: round super titanium; 43mm
- Strap: stainless steel & titanium bracelet; adjustable length: 7″
- Closure: folding clasp
- Dial: blue with date window
- Water resistance: to 200 meters
- 5-year limited manufacturer?s warranty, with an additional 1-year warranty upon registering your watch with Citizen
- Powered by light, any light. Never needs a battery.
- Limited Edition
- Created for Macy’s