When I think of Rado, I think of ceramic. They’ve been making some lovely pieces out of that high-tech material, but their creations have largely been in a dressier, or more refined, look and feel. In general, I’m fine with that, but they’ve recently expanded the material into something that’s definitely more sporty – the Rado Captain Cook.
Have no fear – this new version of the Rado Captain Cook is still very much a dive watch. It retains its 300m WR rating, you’ve got a timing bezel with lumed insert, and a screw-down crown. And really, to look at the watch, you wouldn’t know this as anything other than a stainless steel sport watch. As I discovered in my last Rado review, it may look like steel, but it feels much, much different. There’s a silkiness to it that’s just hard to describe.
Along with the use of ceramic on the case and bracelet, this Rado Captain Cook also leverages a smoked sapphire crystal for it’s dial. In my experience with this on other watches, it accomplishes a few things. First off, you get indices that appear to float a bit, which is a neat effect. It also allows you to see the movement, but only when you want to. Look down at a quick glance, and your eyes won’t register what you can see through to – it’ll pick up the bright hands and indices, and you’ll get the time and be on your way.
For this new release of the Rado Captain Cook, there are four different versions being released (and yes, the blue is my favorite of the bunch):
- Black with rose gold accents (R32127162): $ 3,700
- Silver with blue bezel (R32128202): $ 3,800
- Black with silver accents (R32127152): $ 3,600
- Black with silver accents on rubber strap (R32127156): $3,300
We’re working with the brand to get a loaner in of this new releaser. In the meantime, to check out more details, and perhaps order your own, head on over to rado.com.
Tech Specs from Rado
- Rado calibre R734, automatic, skeletonised , 25 jewels, 3 hands, 80 hours power reserve, antimagnetic
- NivachronTM hairspring, exceeds standard test requirements from 3 to 5 positions for higher accuracy
- Black high-tech ceramic case, monobloc construction
- Rose gold coloured PVD coated stainless steel turning bezel with a polished black high-tech ceramic insert with engraved white lacquered numbers and markers, triangle in white Super-LumiNova®
- Circular brushed, black PVD coated titanium case back with a black tinted sapphire crystal
- Polished rose gold coloured PVD coated stainless steel screw-down crown box-shaped sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides water-resistant to 30 bar (300m)
- Black tinted sapphire crystal
- Applied indexes with white Super-LumiNova®
- Rose gold coloured PVD coated moving anchor symbol with synthetic ruby plate rose gold coloured printed Rado and Captain Cook logos
- Hands: rose gold coloured with white Super-LumiNova®
- Matt black high-tech ceramic outer links
- Polished black high-tech ceramic middle links
- Titanium 3-fold clasp with black high-tech ceramic openers
- Dimensions: 43.0 x 49.8 x 14.6 (WxLxH in mm)