This was a release that came out earlier in the month, but I’ve just been off my game (and schedule) when it comes to getting to these releases. We’re working to get back on track, but this felt like one that was still better late than never to tell you about the new colorways of the Corum Admiral 42 Automatic.
While I’ve not reviewed these new watches, I did check out one (which you can see here) from Corum Admiral lineup previously, and came away pretty favorably impressed. Sure, I’m not a sailor and I didn’t know what the various flags represented, but I applauded the commitment to a theme and look. Here, aside from going dark (black dials and straps, and PVD finishing on the cases), those colorful – and primary – nautical flags are gone.
Instead, you’ve got the wireframe Tron interpretation of those flags taking their place on the dial, giving bright splashes of color in the midst of all that darkness. You’ve got five different variations (blue, green, yellow, orange, and red) making the scene here, and they all look to keep things fairly legible. Having those bright colors popping out of the otherwise monochrome black treatment helps, of course.
Only 100 examples of each version of this Corum Admiral 42 Automatic will be made (for a total of 500) which means seeing these out and about is going to be a thing of rarity, I do suppose. That, and the fact that the three-hander will set you back $5,200 for the privilege of strapping it onto your wrist. corum-watches.com
- Brand & Model: Corum Admiral 42 Automatic
- Price: $5,200
- Who we think it might be for: You thought there really should have been an ocean-going version of Tron
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I?ve seen? It’s an interesting look, for sure, but not one that I’m actively looking for
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: I have to say, the neon wireframe approach to the flags is pretty nice
Tech Specs from Corum
- Case: 42mm (10mm thick), stainless steel with black PVD treatment
- Movement: CO 395 automatic (28,800 vph, 42-hour power reserve)
- Bracelet: rubber, 21/18mm with triple-folding clasp
- WR: 50m