You’ve got to hand it to Undone – while the world has been in some unique situations, they’ve managed to keep forging ahead, releasing a number of new watch designs through various collaborations and licensing deals. Sure, their semi-custom platform helps with that, and is no doubt how they arrived at their latest, the Undone Astro Boy.
Now, if you’re like me, you’re perhaps aware of Astro Boy, but have no idea what the character is all about. To put it succinctly, Astro Boy is the title character of a wildly popular manga and anime series, and you can read more about him here. Astro Boy is an android, and that’s why you’ve got the 6 o’clock register showing a sort of split, with the human-looking side on the left, and the very android-ish on the right. Additionally, you’ve got the lumed grid on the dial to call to mind a blueprint; the dial is also translucent, allowing you to see the movement. Sort of like peering into an android, you could say.
The big new thing here for Undone – aside from the Astro Boy touches – is the inclusion of an internal bezel. This is the first time Undone has done a dual time zone piece, and it’s easily adjusted by the crown over at the 10 o’clock position. Also worth noting is the inclusion of a forged carbon bezel set on top of the sapphire crystal, giving you another higher-tech material to go with the watch.
The Undone Astro Boy was just announced today at a price of $449. If you’re one of the first 300 to order one, you’ll also get some additional bonus items with the watch, which includes:
- The first 300 pieces will come uniquely serialised
- Box set includes:
- an Astro Boy Aryclic Art Piece
- a Limited Edition White Astro Boy Strap
- Premium Boxset Packaging.
Not a bad set of kit, particularly if you’re a fan of the character, I’d say. You can check it out, and order your own, over at undone.com
Tech Specs from Undone
- Transparent dial with a blueprint pattern
- Inner rotating bezel; controlled by crown at 10 o’clock
- Carbon fiber bezel
- Black DLC 316L stainless steel case: 42.50mm in diameter
- Forged carbon fiber bezel.
- 12.10mm thick
- Sapphire crystal
- Lug-to-lug: 48.00mm.
- WR: 50 meters
- Movement: TMI VK63 Mecha-quartz movement
- The subdials show a 24-hour display, 60-minute counter, and small second.
- 22mm black Cordura strap with quick- release spring bars.