It was a little over a year ago that we brought you word of a new watch from Audric. Product cycles being what they are, they forged through the pandemic problems, and are now ready to introduce a new watch shortly – and a new sub-brand while they’re at it. This all takes shape in the Iridium Torpedo.
Even if you couldn’t see the photos, it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch to guess that the Iridium Torpedo is a dive watch, given that torpedo name. And the fact that, while some brands have gotten away from it, there’s no denying that dive watches are quite the winner when it comes to microbrands going the crowdfunding route.
Given that is our starting point, it shouldn’t be a surprise that the Iridium Torpedo features a Miyota 9015 movement inside – reliable, serviceable, and rather affordable. This is tucked into a 42mm case that helps provide an overall thickness of 13.4mm. That’s not exactly svelte, but it’s also nowhere near as thick as we’ve sometimes seen 300m divers come in at.
The Iridium Torpedo is very much a vintage-inspired dive watch. You’ve got a heavily-domed sapphire crystal on top, a larger handset, and very hefty lumed-and-applied indices that do call to mind – at least for me – the venerable Fifty Fathoms. For me, it’s this dial layout that really sells the watch, particularly those indices. It’s giving us not a completely new look, per se, but a look that’s just enough different to catch the eye.
For those wanting to click “buy”, you’ll need to temper your expectations. You see, the Iridium Torpedo is not yet available for order. They are planning to launch it for crowdfunding next month at earlybird pricing of $399. For more details on the watch, and to get signed up to be notified when it launches, head on over to iridiumwatches.com
- Case: 42 mm * 50 mm 316L Stainless Steel case.
- Movement: Miyota 9015 movement.
- Case Thickness: 13.4 mm.
- Water Resistance: 300 m (1000ft) / 30 ATM.
- Lug width: 22 mm.
- Crown: Screw-down crown with IRIDIUM logo filled with BGW9.
- Bezel: 120 Clicks Steel rotating unidirectional bezel with BGW9.
- Dial: Sunburst dial with Swiss Superluminova BGW9.
- Hands: Hands filled with Swiss Superluminova BGW9.
- Lens: Double dome sapphire crystal with Anti Reflective coating.
- Bracelet: 316L Stainless Steel with diver clasp and screws for easy sizing.
- Caseback: Screw-down with reverse engraved specs with Torpedo logo.
- Anti-Scratch Coating.
- Weight is 165 grams.