I am a fan of Trintec, after finding one of their designs on Kickstarter, then reaching out to the brand for a review on the Zulu-03, the same watch we have up for our current monthly give-away. The brand built the first aviation instrument inspired clock, and now makes aviation and nautical inspired watches and clocks. Their latest watch, the Trintec Zulu-07 Professional, is currently on Kickstarter.
The design cues for the current project come from vintage 1940s through 1970s era cockpit instrument clocks, a look that they hit pretty dead on. However, I am not a pilot and don’t spend time in cockpits from that era; I am, however, a diver, and I see a burly and attractive dive watch when I look at the Zulu-07. It is not designed as a dive watch, and diver or no, a bit of lume at 0 on the PVD coated stainless unidirectional rotating (120 click) bezel would have been a nice addition.
Still, it is rated to 200 meters, so design or not, it is capable of reaching recreational dive limits. The watch case is 47mm and 17.5mm tall, so this is not an understated watch. At 175g, it is not going to an anchor on your wrist, but it is not petite there either. To go with the dimensions, the screw down crown is a 9.5mm. A small crown would look out of place here, and I much prefer something on this size you can grasp with gloves on than a canteen crown.
The watch is available in either a matte stainless or black PVD finish and utilizes a hacking Miyota 9015 automatic movement. The sapphire crystal is set below the dished bezel, giving the watch a lot of depth to go with the height. Overall, this is a burly watch that looks ready for serious action.
Trintec themselves is a real company with a solid history of building watches and clocks, the kind of company I would be comfortable backing with a crowd funded campaign. The early bid watches in each finish are $450 CAD (~ $360 USD) and jump to $500 CAD (~$400 USD) after the first 25 of each is gone. Take a look at the campaign if oversized aviation or dive watches are your style, and don’t forget to sign up for the give-away of the Zulu-03. trintec.com
- Brand & Model: Trintec Zulu-07 Professional
- Price: $450CAD for earlybirds, then $500 CAD ($360 – 400 USD)
- Who we think it might be for: If you want a cool aviation instrument watch or a unique dive watch.
- Would I buy one for myself based on what I’ve seen?: Yes, I think is a cool, oversize design.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: Lume on the triangle on the bezel
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It is an attractive, attention getting watch.
Tech Specs from Trintec Watches
- Movement: Miyota 9015 Automatic
- Functions: The had, date window, 120 click unidirectional bezel
- Case: Stainless steel, PVD optional
- Glass: Sapphire with AR
- Water resistance: 200 meters
- Lug width: 24mm
- Straps: Black rubber strap and orange NATO strap
- Diameter : 47mm
- Length: Not specified
- Case height: 17.5
- Weight of watch head: 175g