Romaine Jerome Gets Colorful
Romaine Jerome is one of those far out there watch brands that somehow keeps creating crazy watches that I like. I can’t pinpoint exactly what I like about them, since some of the designs are pretty silly, but I like them none the less. Just launched is the Steampunk Auto Colours variations, a take on the previous steampunk watch done up in, you guessed it, bright colors.
The watch comes in six colors, yellow, blue, green, red, white and orange, each with a black 50mm PVD case and the signature “X” paws. The oversized numerals XII and VI are done in the model color, along with a band on the crown, the RJ logo at 9:00 and matching colored stitching on the alligator leather strap. The watch utilizes the RJ001-As mechanical self winding movement integrated into the face itself, lending to the steampunk image. The small second “hand” at 9:00 is designed to look like a tiny ship’s propeller, while the hands are designed to look like anchors, putting the watch firmly in the “Sea” category of RJ’s design aesthetics.
Also exposed are 4 screws and shock adsorbing springs anchoring the movement to the watch case. Each color is limited to 99 pieces, so make sure you order yours early. Interestingly, at the current exchange rate, the watch is about $1,000 cheaper in Switzerland, so you could pay for your plane ticket with the savings and pick it up at the factory. romainjerome.ch
- Brand & Model: Romaine Jerome Steampunk Auto Colours
- Price: $16,950
- Who we think it might be for: Worldwide, 99 people per color.
- Would I buy or recommend it just on the photos?: Yes.
- If I could make one design suggestion, it would be: I would expect more of the movement to be exposed, but I have not seen it in person.
- What spoke to me the most about this watch: It is crazy and cool.